Challenges:
1. Should I go with flowers or solid prints?
2. Should I go with bold colors or pastels?
3. How could I deal with a "slopped" ceiling effectively?
Reflections:
After reading about Fen Shui I realized that bold colors are ok but too much of them keep you up all night and create chaos. And frankly who needs chaos (unless you get paid for it of course) !!! So, I decided to tune things down in the bedside area. Also, since I was dealing with a "slopped ceiling" height might be something I should focus on... In other words create a sense of height and space.
Next, I realized that in order to save money Tiffany aka. Goodwill was the best choice by which to achieve my quest....In other words, no expensive foam made out of petroleum products which tend to be quite expensive...
Process:
First stage: After googling for ideas I headed for Tiffany with the plan of finding a subtle piece of canvas like fabric with character (I did not bump into the character till I found it). So I found this nice canvas like material with blue/burnt orange birds.
After a bit of reflection and visualization I found that this table cloth/coverlet might suit my needs. I thought it was quite whimsical, grabbed it, payed my three bucks and moved on. At home I washed, ironed and starched it.
Second stage: After having measured the trunk of my Mini and the bed I knew that this project was to be for in the back of my Mini I could fit a peace of 54 by 35 piece wood perfectly:
Third stage: After goggling for some more ideas I had my vision complete and headed to Home Depot and Tiffany in my trusted Mini to buy the remaining supplies to complete the project. Wood, padding material and hanging supplies were on my shopping list.
First I stopped at Home Depot and had the luck of meeting an Italian who knew exactly what I was doing as he supposingly had a furniture store across the street.....Whichever the case what he had to say was music to my ears...He advised me to get a much thinner piece of wood some metal things to hang it on the wall etc... Now, what he suggested did not match the thicker pieces of wood I found on the many blogs and you tube, but then again he seemed quite confident. We chatted about soccer and said good bye in Spanish. After cutting the wood to my measurements I left for Tiffany. In Tiffany I bought 2 old comforters. I washed them in hot water and hung them to dry. Finally I put them in the hot drier.
Fourth stage: I was ready to go. I had the nice fabric washed, ironed and starched, the comforters washed and dry the hanging metal things.....
So I started: I traced half circles on two edges of the wood (following the advice of the Italian) as I wanted round corners on top which would look better esthetically. I cut the rounded corners with a ridged knife. Next, I laid the wood on the floor on top of the comforter, traced around it and cut the comforter to fit my piece of wood:
I continued by tracing and cutting and extra layer of batting from the old comforter and glueing the two layers on the top of the wood using fabric glue.
Next, I took the thinner white comforter and cut in half. One half I cut to fit one more batting session and the last piece was to hold the whole thing together with a staple gun. Be aware that I used the staple gun to attach the batting to the wood. It is important to do so so the batting does not move and provide extra rounded edges on top.
As you see, in the process the dog believed I was making a huge dog bed and decided to make herself comfortable...
I was almost there as I stapled the thin comforter (the final layer) with a staple gun:
Next I stapled the whimsical material on top following the process seen above:
To finalize the project husband helped hanging the whole thing up on the wall with the help of these "hangman" hangers from Home Depot:
So here is the final product:
Hope you like it. Have some bird material left. Maybe a footstool???











No comments:
Post a Comment